Maternity Care Questions
POSSIBLE QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE REGISTERING WITH AN LMC
- Do you provide full continuity of maternity care? Will other carers be involved, and if so, who are they?
- Do you plan to take leave or go on holiday during my pregnancy or in the month or months before and after my baby is due?
- Who will provide my backup care if you are away or with someone else when I go into labour? Will I be able to meet the backup carer?
- Do you provide care in a hospital, maternity unit, birthing unit, and home birth?
- Where will I see you for my antenatal visits – will you visit me in my home or will I need to come into a clinic?
- How many visits during my pregnancy can I expect to have and how often will these occur?
- Do you provide home visits during early labour?
- What happens if I need specialist care during my pregnancy or my labour? If this happens, will you continue to provide my care?
- Who will be caring for me after birth – in hospital and when I go home?
- If I or my baby needs to stay in hospital after birth, what will your role be?
- Postnatally, how many visits can I expect, both in hospital and at home?
- How many weeks postnatal will you care for me once the baby is born?
- Between visits, are you available for me to call or text you for advice?
- What is your pregnancy and childbirth philosophy?
- How many births a year do you attend?
- How many birthing people do you book each month?
- How many birthing people have you got booked who are due around the same time as me?
- How might my appointments, birth, and postnatal visits change with the various COVID-19 alert levels?
QUESTIONS TO ASK A PRIVATE OBSTETRICIAN
If I have to pay – what will I have to pay for, how much will it be and when will I need to pay?
Who will provide my care during labour and birth?
If a midwife will be taking care of me during my labour and birth, can I meet them beforehand?
Who will be looking after me for my postnatal care when I go home with my baby?