The Most Recommended Books and Resources to Read and Listen to in Preparation for Birth
Insightful reads, watches, and listens to help you on your pregnancy journey as your prepare for birth.
Preparation is key when it comes to getting ready for labour and birth. By now, you’ve likely already received one of our Hey Māmā books and hopefully read it cover to cover! But there’s plenty of additional resources out there too.
As we like to say, an informed choice is the best one and where there is knowledge there is empowerment, so reading and listening to stories and evidence-based information about labour and birth is essential for preparing yourself, whether it’s your first baby or subsequent pregnancy.
Here’s our list of the books and resources that can help you on your journey as you get ready to welcome your impending arrival earthside.
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- Birth Skills by Juju Sundin
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley
- The Hypnobirthing Book by Katharine Graves
- HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan
- Where the Heart is: Stores of Homebirth in New Zealand by Carla Sargent
- Australia Birth Stories podcast
- Kiwi Birth Tales podcast
- Birth Time: the documentary