Play and Learning Ideas for Toddlers
From 1-2 years old, you can help your child’s learning and development by:
- Letting them play with other children. Visit your local park, playground or playgroup so they can engage with tamariki their age.
- Encouraging them to learn everyday skills like putting on their shoes, picking up their toys, and using a spoon to eat their kai (food).
- Allowing them to engage in water and outdoor play. It can be as simple as giving them a bowl of water with some kitchen utensils and empty plastic bottles. Just make sure you supervise them when they’re playing with water.
- Talking to them often. Point out and name objects, animals, and people, ask them questions, use their name and narrate your everyday actions so they can develop their language skills.
- Responding to them when they talk or babble to you. It’s beneficial to your child when you hold a conversation with them.
- Reading at least three books per day together. Point out pictures and ask them to turn the pages.
- Singing songs, lullabies and nursery rhymes together. They’ll love learning to copy the actions too.